Anyone who wants to try out a diet program for the first time would want to know the pros and cons. This is especially true for the Paleo Diet which has generated both positive and negative reviews from medical professionals and weight watchers alike.
The Paleo Diet is one of the low-carbohydrate diets that are being touted as very effective for weight loss. It emphasizes the consumption of foods that primitive man used to eat prior to the development of agricultural techniques. These foods include lean meats, fish and seafoods, fruits and vegetables, nuts and healthy oils. Restrictions in this diet are grains, legumes, potatoes, dairy products, and processed foods.
Let us take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of the Paleo Diet…
Advantages of the Paleo Diet
1. Nutritious = Without a doubt, the Paleo Diet is one of the best diets that you should try if you want to make a switch to a healthier lifestyle. Because it prohibits intake of processed foods and seasonings like salt and sugar, you are guaranteed that you will only be eating foods that are high in essential nutrients such as vitamins and minerals.
2. Very simple = Unlike other programs, the Paleo Diet does not require that you measure food portions or count calories. The only thing you need to do is to eat the foods that are enumerated in the Paleo Diet Food List.
3. Increase physical activity = The developers of the Paleo Diet recently incorporated an exercise plan into their program. These special exercises, combined with the diet, will help you to achieve your weight loss goals as well as enable you to keep physically fit.
Disadvantages of the Paleo Diet
1. Requires a tremendous adjustment = Because of the many food restrictions, you need to make a lot of adjustments in terms of your food shopping and your eating habits. The emphasis on healthy foods would require that you inspect nutritional labels carefully. Also, you would need to inquire about the sources of meat to ensure that they are indeed organic. In terms of eating habits, naturally, if you have been used to eating high carb foods, you need to adjust to a diet that is low in carbs but high in proteins.
2. Can be very expensive = A major disadvantage of the Paleo Diet is that the foods outlined can be very expensive. You need to eat fruits and vegetables that have been organically grown. The meat should have been obtained from grazing animals, such as cows that have been allowed to roam green pastures and eat grass.
3. Lack of information on serving sizes = The very thing that makes the Paleo Diet simple is also the same factor that makes it difficult for weight watchers. Because the diet only requires that you eat the foods on the Paleo Diet Food List, you need to determine for yourself how much servings or portion sizes you should eat. This is especially true when it comes to meat. Even if you trim away the fat as per the requirement of the program, there is still some fat left over. So if you eat lots of meat, there is still that greater chance that you eat more fats as well.
Learn about other advantages and disadvantages of the Paleo Diet today!
Comments are closed.