People who have just started on the Paleo Diet are sure to find themselves challenged by the major transitions in lifestyle that they would have to make. It is not uncommon to read about individuals who ultimately find themselves cheating on their diet, eating bread, and nibbling on chips and sweets. Others do try to follow the food lists and guidelines prescribed in the diet plan, but they fail to meet their health goals, such as overall health improvement and weight loss.
However, to those who have succeeded at the Paleo Diet, they have discovered that the plan itself is flawed and needs to be adjusted based on the health requirements of the individual dieter. Taking into account the many failures that people have on the Paleo Diet, the latest diet plans already incorporate foods that were previously prohibited as long as they are consumed in moderation.
Here are a few of the reasons that have been cited for Paleo Diet failures…
1. Erroneous and conflicting information. Although there are a lot of resources on the Paleo diet available on print and on the Internet, much of the information is wrong or, worse, conflicting. Most individuals end up following the wrong information or get very confused when a site says one thing and another site contradicts the claims of the other. Sadly, the wrong information can lead to health problems in the future.
2. Concentrating on just the Paleo Diet alone. Just like any diet plan, the Paleo Diet will not succeed if you just focus on your food consumption alone. If your health goal specifically is to lose weight, you should exercise regularly, get enough sleep, and practice stress reduction techniques.
3. Nutrient deficiencies. Some individuals who have started on the Paleo Diet soon discover that they are suffering from deficiencies in essential nutrients. The reason for this is that they don’t eat a variety of foods and just limit themselves to certain meats and vegetables. For example, don’t just consume chicken and vegetable salads daily. Instead, go for variety in your intake. On alternate days, you can eat fish and sea foods, lean meats and organ meats from grass-fed animals, and other types of vegetables and fruits.
4. Very little fat consumption. There is a common misconception even among staunch Paleo advocates that consumption of fats should be eliminated because it is not included in the diet of Paleolithic man. However, if the meats we consume today are very similar to the ones that cavemen used to eat, it is more likely that they had been consuming a lot of fats (because back then they had no knowledge about “good” or “bad” fats). Consumption of moderate amounts of fat is very important as an energy source. If you eat too little fats, you don’t have enough calories to sustain your energy levels and you are also constantly craving for food. If fat is a concern, concentrate instead on consuming the healthy non-saturated type.
5. Too much fruit consumption. Did you know that there is also such a thing as overconsumption of fruits, especially on the Paleo Diet? Although fruits have essential vitamins and minerals like Vitamin C, potassium and fiber, it is also very high in the more toxic type of sugar, fructose. So, instead of losing weight, people tend to gain weight. Eat a serving or two of fruits per day and add starchy vegetables which are rich in the more easy to digest glucose.
Discover other reasons why people fail at the Paleo Diet today!
Comments are closed.